Published on febbraio 13th, 2014 | by Raffaella Capritti0
COMPOSITE STEEL AND CONCRETE STRUCTURES
Steel floors reinforcement
The construction of composite steel/concrete structures offers remarkable static and economic advantages.
The load-bearing steel structure and the overlying concrete cast, suitably tied to each other by means of connectors, guarantee the static unity of the two different materials while enabling them to express their individual characteristics.
The most evident advantages are the reduced weight of the steel structures, the lower total height of the floors, greater flexural rigidity and higher fire resistance.
The headed stud connector, welded to the beam, is the commonly adopted solution for the shear connection in composite steel/concrete structures.
A NEW FASTENING SYSTEM
In order to overcome the application difficulties associated with the welding of the studs, TECNARIA has developed a new system that consists of cold fastening the connectors using special nails.
The connector consists of a headed stud inserted in a suitably shaped and stiffened base plate.
Two cold-fastening nails, made of highly resistant material, passing through the plate, ensure the rigid fastening of the connector to the steel beam.
The nails arepunched in the means of a powder-actuated tool.
The TECNARIA connectors, therefore, offer a number of advantages:
- The fastening operation is not affected by the surface treatment of the connected parts (painted or coated) nor by the presence of the metal deck that lies between the base plate and the beam: these elements, on the contrary, combine to ensure structural unity
- Climatic conditions do not affect results (humidity or low temperatures)
- Skilled workers not necessary. The fastening system is safe, reliable, fast and ensures precise high-quality fastening
- The work can be carried out on site without requiring costly or cumbersome equipment. The operator is fast and mobile.
- The success of the fastening operation can be verified through a simple visual check
- The galvanized surfaces do not release poisonous fumes
Main characteristics of the connector
- Shank diameter 12 mm
- Stud height from 40 to 135 mm
- Minimum dimension of base plate: 38 mm
- Statically the shear stud connector TECNARIA has the same characteristics and ductility as the welded headed studs
- Reduced dimensions of the connector (easily positioned on most profiled metal decking shape)
- Reduced deformation values for limited loads and high deformation values for high loads (ductile behaviour)
- The head prevents the detachment of the slab due to dynamic stress or excessive deformation
- Optimum behaviour under cyclic loads
Fill out the form to request information from TECNARIA S.P.A.